On January 1, 2018, New York State’s Paid Family Leave (PFL) Program will take effect.
With the implementation date fast approaching, it’s becoming increasingly important that employers are looking ahead and preparing accordingly.
Here are 3 things to consider, prior to January 1st:
- Have you considered policy changes in response to the program?
- Employers should update their employee handbooks or other written leave policies to include information concerning the PFLL and employees’ rights and obligations under the law.
- If you are interested in sample policy language, we’ve got it! Give us a shout.
- Have you communicated to employees?
- Eligible employees will be entitled to this new benefit as of 1/1/18; it’s important that your employees understand the program and any policy changes that you may be making in response.
- If you are interested in sample employee communications, we’ve got it! Give us a shout.
- Are you aware of posting and notification requirements?
- Employers must display a poster regarding Paid Family Leave coverage in their place of business, similar to Workers’ Compensation or Disability benefits coverage. You will receive this poster from your DBL insurance carrier.
As the law continues to develop, it’s important that employers understand the legislation and the impact it will have on their business.
GKG will continue to be your resource for all things PFL. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.
Note: This overview is not intended as an all-inclusive list of your responsibilities as an employer. Further, please note that this overview is based on the information available at time of publication and may be subject to change.